Saturday, July 1, 2017

Gear Matters

So, this entry is about things that have already happened (I wasn't able to post it before my life was without internet), but are part of the whole fitness journey which is why we’re going to talk about them anyway.
First thing I learned when Matt and I started running together: gear matters.  My graduation gift to myself and from Matt was essentially running stuff that made me feel comfortable, cool, and excited to get started.  I’ll admit to a little vanity and when we went to Old Navy for a running hat for Matt not long after graduation, I saw some pretty cute running shorts, shirts, and sports bras.  I figure, if I’m going to feel miserable, might as well feel like I at least look cute, right? Right. **These purchases were also encouraged by the fiancĂ©** So, that happened along with shoes actually meant for running (I haven’t worn something with arches in For. Ever.), a phone holder that was on-sale at Dick’s, and a new yoga mat from Wal-Mart because my old one is about 6 years old and actually falling apart.

It might be weird to say, but having clothes, shoes, and “accessories” (yoga mat and phone arm-band thing) that I like and feel good in makes me look forward to working out more than I did in the past.  I honestly always thought that if I was going to get sweaty and gross, why bother?  But this helps put me in the right mindset for getting sweaty and gross and enjoying it a little more.
That being said, my second day running (with all of the feel-good gear) involved a personal best: a mile just under 12 minutes.  Talk about starting on a high note.  Between then and now there have been other achievements and more than a couple of road bumps, but I have a feeling this will stand out as a good way to start off the road to running.


‘Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Diet or Not to Diet?

Hi All, With all my new health developments I am trying to research ways to make life easier on my body. Now that I am used to my medicine...