Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Manifesto


Hello All, 

This is an extra post this week because I wanted to share some encouragement for all of you women out there struggling with how you look, feel, or think. 

While I was in graduate school I took a class on feminism. It wasn't a bash you over the head with it kind of class. In fact, I learned a lot about myself as a women and I can only thank Dr. Buchanan for that one. One of our assignments in class was to write a manifesto. I wanted to share that with you all as well as a song that I think has a great message and goes together with my thoughts. For everyone out there, You are enough just as you are. 

Strong is the New Sexy Manifesto

Never tell someone your number.
Not the digits for future flirty contact like you’d think.
Not the “don’t talk to strangers” mom rule either.

No, it’s the number on the scale.
That dreaded machine that determines weight.
The one that haunters doctor’s offices since you came into this world.

You are supposed to be feminine, petite.
Women are small, delicate creatures.
Women don’t have shapes.
You should be a fluid line.
Lose some weight, fat ass.

Cut calories.
Cut carbs.
Diet.

You don’t fit-
The type every guy wants.

I’m curvy.
I’m husky.
I’m big boned.

Excuses.

Why don’t you look like the other girls?
They have no problem.
You just don’t try hard enough.

The secret to beauty is pain.
Just eat less.
Drink more water.
Give up sugar.

Gotta get that thigh gap or else you’re trash.
You’ll always be alone
If you don’t try.

Make babies, that’s your purpose.
But don’t look like you’re a baby maker.

Pretty girls are delicate.
You are not.

Feel comfortable in your body
Only if it looks a certain way.

We don’t like fat people.
Whatever happened to being yourself?
Whatever happened to health?
Whatever happened to different body types?
Who are you to say I’m fat?
Why do I have to be skinny?
What if I want to be strong?

Muscles make women bulky.
You will look like a man,
Or worse, a dike.
Women are supposed to need help.
Women are weak.

Be gentle.
Be fair.
Be lovely.

Don’t be yourself.
Don’t love yourself.
Don’t have confidence.

You’re disgusting.
Who would want to rape you?
Fat chicks aren’t rape-able.
Gross. 

Well I say we forget it.
Forget all this rhetoric
The things we’ve heard.


Fat shame
Morbidly obese
Body image

You are not defined by these things.
You are not a number.
You are a person.

Height
Weight
Pants size
Breast size
What does it matter?

Every woman is built different.
Every woman is beautiful.
Every woman is enough.
            Just as you are.

Love your curves.
Love your bones.
Love your smooth skin.
Love your cellulite.
Love your blemishes.
Love your imperfections.
Love yourself.
Because loving yourself makes you strong.
And strong is the new sexy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

To Diet or Not to Diet?

Hi All, With all my new health developments I am trying to research ways to make life easier on my body. Now that I am used to my medicine...