Monday, June 19, 2017

Cosplay and Body Image

Good Day!

It is Monday again and that calls for another blog update! A few of you know that I am what is considered a giant nerd. I have lots of fandoms, ships, and interests. I like to participate in these fandoms as well. Every year in my hometown there are a few anime conventions that come about in different months. I've been going to these events since high school but in the last 3 years due to being an adult and being in another state for graduate school I have been unable to attend. This past week I finally had an opportunity to change that.

NekoCon 2010

This weekend was  the Anime Mid-Atlantic Convention in Norfolk. I was so excited I begged two of my dear friends to go with me. Since I have been out of the game I didn't have anything really to wear so I just put on my Totoro shirt and went to the con. Both of my friends have amazing costumes that they showcased and walked around in with me. One of my friends, Kayla even won an award for her work on her and her brother's costumes from D. Gray Man.


Kayla and Ryan Otakon 2016


Dressing up and wearing a costume to be a certain character is called cosplaying. I have only ever cosplayed one character and that was Bilbo Baggins because I am a Hobbit from my very soul. Even though I have only had one cosplay, that does not mean I haven't wanted to do so much more. The problem I face with cosplaying is my body type. For any one who has seen anything animated you know that the proportions of characters are always relatively skinny. I am not skinny. I am not shaped to be a toothpick either. So, cosplaying has always been hard for me. I haven't had any confidence in my body until recently so I never felt that I could really do anything except wear lots of layers and be a round, cozy looking Hobbit.

NekoCon 2013



As I walked around AMA I saw all of these beautiful cosplays of girls smaller, my size, and bigger than me. They didn't care what people thought of their bodies they were just happy to be dressed as some of their favorite characters. I got to thinking more about why I was uncomfortable with the idea and through some thoughts out to my friends. As the day went on I realized I shouldn't be so wary of cosplaying. I want to look like the character yes but it is much more than that. I need to think positively about my body and create a costume that will embody the character but also my confidence. Continuing on my journey to bettering my body, loving my body, and being healthy I am going to start to create costumes so that when NekoCon in November comes around I can believe in myself and enjoy the convention to its fullest. Cosplaying is a great way to show your love for your fandom, characters, and as I've learned yourself. With help from my friend, Kayla I am going to see what I can put together and where we can go from here.

Cosplay and conventions are not just mindless, weird entertainment; they can also be helpful in teaching you important lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Diet or Not to Diet?

Hi All, With all my new health developments I am trying to research ways to make life easier on my body. Now that I am used to my medicine...