Monday, June 12, 2017

Excuses of the Mind

Hi All,

This past week was very difficult for me in terms of keeping to my goals. I did well with eating but I only made it to the gym once last week and swam in my pool only once. I have things available for me and all the time in the world to do them so why is it so hard to stick to it?



Well, I have found that committing to a fitness journey is not about physically being able to do anything. It is all mental. My mind makes excuses or comes up with a good argument for not working out or hitting the gym or not eating that vegetable. Everyone struggles with it. I would rather sit on my butt and finish the episode of Legion I'm on then get up and drive over to the gym for an hour. The thing that gets me is the guilt afterwards. I know I should go but I can't make myself sometimes.

I don't know if anyone else has that same problem but it is the reason I feel behind on my journey. Part of it for me is this state of limbo I am in. Fresh off of graduation, back at my parent's house, and nothing to look forward to currently other than the musings of everyday life here. Unfortunately, that leaves me feeling down and useless. When you feel useless, you have no motivation or drive to go exercise your muscles because your brain has taken over at that point. Each day is a struggle but it is not because I can't push my body to do the things I want, it is all my mind.



So I got to thinking, what are some ways I can exercise my mind and ease the transition in my life? How can I keep my mind straight to make sure I hit the gym, don't eat a whole pan of brownies, and stick to my goals in all aspects of my life? First off it starts with giving yourself some slack (but not too much to where you get lazy!) If you have a rough day, it is okay just start again tomorrow. Don't let other days guilt you or stunt your progress. Every step can be hard. Even if you are extremely dedicated there will be tough days and that is okay. You have to remember to pick yourself back up and continue heading forward. Don't let your excuses take over your life. Don't let your own mind talk you out of anything you are working towards.

I am my own worst enemy but also my biggest supporter. Every day is a fight but I just have to remember I am making progress no matter how small and will reach my goal. I've already come this far and I know you will make it too. So bring it on!




No comments:

Post a Comment

To Diet or Not to Diet?

Hi All, With all my new health developments I am trying to research ways to make life easier on my body. Now that I am used to my medicine...